Expected results of the GES-REG project include internal results such as successful communication within the project consortium and building a close network of institutions involved in the implementation of MSFD in a sub-regional scale.
In general, the project will improve the marine environmental management in the sub-region via dissemination efforts towards the main target groups (environmental authorities, institutions responsible for marine monitoring and assessment, HELCOM, stakeholders and wider public) and thus will support achieving of good environmental status of the Baltic Sea.
The direct results are expected to be:
- the methods used for initial assessments are harmonized and the assessments build a solid basis for further action to achieve good environmental status;
- recommendations for harmonization of assessment schemes for different EU directives;
- overview of existing gaps in knowledge base related to good environmental status descriptors;
- guidance on methodologies that can be used to develop further the science base for good environmental status descriptors, criteria and indicators focusing on food webs, non-indigenous species, marine litter, and underwater noise;
- results of pilot studies, suggestions for new indicators to assess good environmental status and recommendations on capacity building on latter three good environmental status descriptors/criteria;
- recommendations on upgrading of monitoring network;
- recommendations on assessment methods, especially on using operational model results in assessments and aggregation of indicators for assessments;
- proposal for a joint monitoring and assessment scheme in the sub-region taking into account the Baltic Sea wide requirements;
- recommendations for ensuring coherence of the assessments concerning the elements of the initial economic and social analysis;
- complemented assessments and information base concerning the cost-efficient measures;
- recommendations for further work.
Please check this page for further updates in the project results.